February 24, 2014

Is it a Dress? Is it a Coat?

In uni we had a brief to design and make a 'top' for River Island. We had a range of shops and brands to choose from but I decided River Island was diverse enough for me to design hoe ever I wanted with-in reason obviously because I had to think about my customer. 

My design turned out like a dress/coat. I wasn't quite sure. In fact I'm still not entirely sure what it is.

I looked into Russian historical dress and Anna Karenina as a starting point throwing in a little research about New Romantics as a sub culture. 

Many people think it looks rather clown like or like a fancy dress costume! 


I reckon it turned out really well apart from the struggle of getting in and out of it.
There was an invisible zip down the left side and buttons down the front till you get to the waist. 
Which is also again where I asked myself what the heck I'd actually made! Haha! 

All in all I was really happy with the outcome with only a few slight mishaps and little bits that still annoy me now to look at! I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sewing!




XOXO

No comments: